Annie Henrie Nader: THE ANNUNCIATION
Used with artist's permission
THE STORY:
This painting shows the angel Gabriel appearing to Mary, saying: "Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women" (Luke 1:28).
THE ANALYSIS:
I really love annunciations, and this one is a bit different. Traditionally, annunciation paintings show Mary in an enclosed space, either in a room or a fenced garden, and surrounded by symbolic vessels, dusters, clean rags, lilies, vases. All of these traditions symbolize Mary's cleanliness, purity, and virginity as her empty womb is about to be filled with the Christ child.
This painting takes a different tack by referencing Eve and the Garden of Eden. The trees on either side of Mary do suggest an enclosure, but they also suggest the trees in our theology. Because Eve partook of the fruit in the Garden of Eden, Mary will bear Christ, who will atone for our sins. The sparkles from Gabriel also remind us of the glowing white fruit of the tree of life. And Mary is grasping a tree branch. Even the mother of the Son of God needs a Savior.
To me, the angel looks feminine. Perhaps Gabriel here represents all the angels and revelations from heaven. The angel points to heaven and speaks to Mary, bringing her light and knowledge.
I love the geometry on the angel's robes. They suggest two things to me: one, that God teaches us by heavenly patterns, and two, the notion that our God is a God of order and that Christ's birth wasn't an emergency backup plan. It was the plan.
The artist says, "Inspired by the many images of Mary's
angelic visitation, this painting symbolizes the beauty of communication
between heaven and earth, the continuance of divine messengers and
guidance, and our own ability to accept callings from God."
PERSONAL IMPACT:
I loved running across that statement from Annie Henrie Nader, because when I look at this painting I see more than Mary and Gabriel. I see Eve and Heavenly Mother. I see every righteous woman who has sought instruction from God and had her prayers answered.


Comments
Post a Comment