Annie Henrie Nader: THE FOUNTAIN
Used with artist permission
THE STORY:
When I look at this painting, I see Nephi and Lehi's vision of the tree of life. Nephi describes the tree like this: "the beauty thereof was far beyond, yea, exceeding of all beauty; and the whiteness thereof did exceed the whiteness of the driven snow" (1 Nephi 11:8). He also tells us that the fruit of this tree represents the love of God.
But the heart of this painting, to me, isn't the tree's loveliness but the relationship between family members. When Lehi first saw the tree, he said "it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit" (1 Nephi 8:12).
THE ANALYSIS:
The straight golden lines suggest both the tree's trunk and the straight and narrow path. I love that the bottom half of this family is shown within those straight lines, reminding us of their clinging to iron rod to reach the tree, and that their top halves are nestled within an explosion of light and beauty.
That straight and narrow path reaches up and encloses the family within an arch of light. The man cradles the fruit in his right hand and looks tenderly at his wife, wrapping his left arm around her waist, echoing Lehi's yearning for his family to partake of the fruit with him.
When Lehi sees the strait and narrow path, seen here as the tree trunk, he says it led "even to the tree by which I stood; and it also led by the head
of the fountain" (1 Nephi 8:20). I love that this tree and fountain have merged into cascading leaves and sprays. Fountains evoke other gospel images: the hymn "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing," referring to the Lord; Christ the "fountain of living waters," and Moroni's sermon about how a good fountain cannot bring forth bitter water.
The dark smudging on either side of the trunk reminds us of the mists of darkness and the forbidden paths in Lehi's dream.
The woman in this family looks straight out at the viewer, inviting us in--inviting us to partake. Her gaze reminds me of Eve's righteous decision to eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil so that she and her children could embark on the straight and narrow path that leads back to our Heavenly Parents' presence. To me, there is so much peace and satisfaction in this woman's face. She has fallen, she has repented, she has endured, and she has achieved her goal--with her family.
PERSONAL IMPACT:
I've mentioned before how meaningful it is to me to see women centered in gospel stories and scriptures. When I look at this painting, I see Eve, I see Sariah, I see Nephi's unnamed wife, and I see every other righteous woman. This is a painting that teaches about the tenderness and love in the plan of salvation.
Also, to me, this painting is glorious and radiant with beauty.


Comments
Post a Comment